Ten things G-d will do in the World-To-Come
March 25, 2012
According to Jewish sages, G-d will do the following ten things in the World-To-Come:
- The first is that He will illuminate the whole world, for it says: “The sun shall be no more thy light by day . . . but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light” (Isa. 60:19). Is there a man able to look at G-d? But what will G-d do to the sun ? He will make it give forty-nine times as much light, as it says: “And the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold” (Isa. 30:26).’ When a man shall be sick, G-d will order the sun to heal him; as it says: “But for you that fear My name shall the sun of righteousness arise with healing in its wings” (Mal. 3:20).
- The second thing is that He will bring out living water from Jerusalem and heal with it all those who have a disease, as it says: “Every living creature wherewith it swarms, where the rivers comes, shall live ;. . . for these waters are come here, that all things be healed” (Ezek. 47:9).
- The third is that He will make trees yield their fruit each month, and when a man eats of them he will be healed, for it says: “And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow every tree for food, . . . it shall bring forth new fruit every month, because the waters issue out of the sanctuary ; and the fruit thereof shall be for food, and the leaf thereof for healing” (Ezek. 47:12).
- The fourth is that they will rebuild all the destroyed cities so that not a single place will remain destroyed; even Sodom and Gomorrah will be rebuilt in the Time to Come, as it says, “And thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate” (Ezek. 16:55).
- The fifth is that He will rebuild Jerusalem with sapphire stones, as it says: “Behold, I will set thy stones in fair colors. .. And I will make your pinnacles of rubies” (Isa. 54:11-12). These precious stones will shine like the sun, and the Gentiles will come and see the glory of Israel, as it is said: “And nations shall walk at thy light” (Isa. 53:3).
- The sixth is that “The cow and bear shall feed together” (Isa. 11:7).
- The seventh is that He will bring all the wild beasts, birds and creeping things and make a covenant with them and with all Israel, for it says: “In that day, I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air” (Hos. 2:20) .
- The eighth is that there will be no more weeping or wailing in the world, for it says: “And the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying” (Isa. 65:19).
- The ninth is that there will be no more death in the world, for it says: “He will swallow up death for ever; and the L-rd G-d will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the reproach of His people will He take away” (Isa. 25:8).
- The tenth is that there will no longer be any sighing, wailing or anguish, but that all will be rejoicing, for it says: “And the redeemed of the L-rd shall return, and come with singing unto Zion” (Isa. 35:10).
(Adapted from Ex. Rabbah 15:21)